Home / Couples and Families / Thursday at Noon: What Does the Supreme Court’s DOMA Ruling Mean for You?

Thursday at Noon: What Does the Supreme Court’s DOMA Ruling Mean for You?

Now we know when.

The Supreme Court has announced that its decisions on marriage equality for LGBT families will be issued on Wednesday morning at 10am. The Court is expected to issue rulings on cases related to both the federal Defense of Marriage Act and California’s Proposition 8.

As soon as the ruling is issued, our legal team will immediately begin analyzing the Court’s opinion to determine what it means for our families. We will begin posting updates on the rulings as soon as our teams have read those. Check back here on our blog for FAQs about the decisions, and more information on what it means for you.

Then, join us on Thursday at Noon (ET) for a 90-minute call with our executive director, Rachel B. Tiven, and Immigration Equality’s legal team. We’ll provide an analysis of the ruling and take your questions about how it impacts your family.

To join the call:

• Dial (800) 868-1837
    • (404) 920-6440 if you are outside the United States
    • And use access code 397548#

We’ve ordered extra phone lines to ensure you can all join, and we’ve extended the call to make sure we take as many of your questions as possible.

This is the moment we’ve all been waiting for. Join us on Thursday to find out what’s next for our families.

Please note that our legal team expects thousands of inquiries following Wednesday’s rulings. First, please check our FAQs here on the website for information on how the decisions will impact binational families. Then, join us for additional information during Thursday’s call. If you have additional questions not addressed in those forums, then use the ‘Contact Us’ form on our website to reach our legal team

39 Responses to Thursday at Noon: What Does the Supreme Court’s DOMA Ruling Mean for You?

1. mel says:

OH my god we won. Thanks for everything guys!!! Best day ever.

2. David Burns says:

I am an American citizen legally married in a same-sex marriage in Spain with a Spanish citizen since 2005. I have been living in Spain since 1983. With the new Supreme Court ruling, can I move back to Texas with my spouse and have our marriage recognized by the Federal Government?

3. Larissa says:

My case is similar to Mr. Burns’. I married my spouse (who’s american) in January in Brazil. We have been living here since 2009 (when we also got a civil union). Can we move back to the U.S. and have the federal government recognize our marriage for purposes of immigration?

• Immigration Equality says:

Larissa,

Please read the FAQs for families on our website, at http://www.ImmigrationEquality.org. If your question is not addressed among the FAQs, you can contact our legal team via our website as well, and a member of the team will answer your inquiry as quickly as possible. Please keep in mind we are receiving an extraordinary number of inquiries, so our response may be delayed as we work to answer families’ questions.

Thank you.

4. mel says:

not sure I can join tomorrow. will you record the call and post the audio file afterwards? thx!

5. Nick Ray says:

Call-in system isn’t recognizing the conference ID code. I tried the 1-800 and 404 numbers. Is ti due to too many people trying to get on?

6. Jade says:

Conference ID is not working :(

7. Jason GG says:

The conference line must be full/overloaded as I keep getting an error message trying to log in… :(

8. Jade says:

My bad…I see it’s Thursday…strike my comment

9. Richard Buggs says:

Wow, savor this rich harvest of years of political trail blazing!! Our love is now seen in the radiance of equality!

10. Jason GG says:

Ah… Thursday… :) Woops!

11. Aldo says:

Good morning, now that doma is down i would like to know if my partner (a us citizen who lives in texas) can ask me as his fiance to get a green card to live together in the usa, we are in a relationship for 2 years ago and he needs to travel to peru to stay together every 3 or 5 months… Its hard to be far from your loved one but we are holding on!! And now i think we have a posibility to stay close at last… Can anyone help me with this question please? We are not marry yet but we want to.

12. Shannon says:

Will the call be recorded and sent out/posted for those of us who cannot make it?

13. nael says:

Hi, where can i find free legal assistence for immigration equality? thanks

14. nael says:

in new york

15. Wendy Helmer says:

We have a german civil union and live in Massachusetts but are wondering if we “have” to get married again here in order for me to sponsor my wife for immigration or if the USA will recognize our partnership that is legal in Germany. Thanks

16. Terry Adair says:

Thank you for the wonderful news. My husband and I will join the call tomorrow. Today is a wonderful day!

17. BJ says:

Thank you very much. I am a green card holder, and my partner is on H1B. Can we get married in DC, and then can I apply for his green card since he’s on his 7th year of H1B and we’re struggling to get his Green card through employment because BALCA needs to approve it…We’re from India if that helps.

18. Susana says:

Thank you soooo much! My situation is similar to BJs but my partner is a citizen and I am on a H1B. We are not married yet but will be soon. Does the fact that we will be married after the decision was made impact at all? Will we still have the same benefits as thos couples that are already married?

19. Mark N. Angus says:

My husband is Dutch and we were legally married in the Netherlands in 2001. Can we apply for him to gain a permanent residence and green card (work permit) while living in the Netherlands? Is it required that we both live in the US for a period of time before the permanent residence or work permit would take effect? Or can we remain in the Netherlands until all the paperwork and waiting periods are completed? The goal is to arrange everything from the Netherlands so that when we move back to the US, my husband will be able to stay and to find work immediately upon arrival.

20. John Wagner says:

I’m living in Mexico to be with my husband, who was denied an extension of his student visa in 2010. We do not plan to move back to the US, so my spouse will not be seeking residency or citizenship, but he would like to get a tourist visa to enter the US. Will the overturning of DOMA make that process easier?

21. Rosa Linda Alvarado says:

My partner and I have been together for 20 years – just celebrated in May! We got married last year in Canada – she is a Canadian RN working here on a temporary work permit. This dark grey cloud has been lifted as we may not have to move to Canada because of the worry that her work permit would not be renewed in October (we were told a 50/50 chance they would deny it) and her work place would not sponsor her willingly. I am truly hopeful for the first time…..in a very long time.

22. Alicia says:

I live in a state that doesn’t allow same-sex marriage. My gf lives and works in Dubai, UAE, but she is Lebanese. So I’m assuming it’s a work visa that she has. She was finally able to get a visit visa to come to the USA. She plans to come here in April next year. Can she and I get married in a state that allows same-sex marriage when she comes here for a visit? Will she then be able to live here in the USA as permanent resident? Or do I need to file a Fiance` Visa? Any info on what she and I need to do would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much for your hard work!

23. Wyatt says:

I am currently holding an F1 visa, and is legally married to my husband in New York City, how should I proceed?

24. RESOFFLA says:

I have filed the I-130 application as a US citizen for my spouse of 2.5 years then in July of 2012. We went to the interview at the USCIS office on Jun 18, 2013 where our application was denied due to DOMA. Denial decision was mailed to us on June 25ht, one day before the SCOTUS’ decision. What’s the procedure to file an appeal of the decision due to cange of the law?? Will filing new I-130 application be better or would it create a “mess”? Thanks!

25. Sandra says:

Will there be a recording of this call available? I wasn’t able to join, but would love to hear what was being said.

26. Clint Maxwell says:

Could you be able to post an audio recording of the teleconference by any chance?

• Immigration Equality says:

Yes! We will be posting information soon about how to access a recording of today’s call.

27. jonathan franz says:

Hi. My Fiance and I are just starting out. I am an american, he is canadian; how will this event impact the process in which He and I are going to achieve dual citizenship for the both of us?

28. Jasmine says:

I’m sure your office is overwhelmed with inquires at this time, so thank you for taking the time to read my inquiry.
    But first off, Thank you for all the hard work your office has put in! This landmark decision is such a welcome reprieve for so many couples!

I am currently on a H1B (expires in 2 weeks!) but my current employer has filed for my PERM application (filed on March 21, 2013). We have not received the PERM approval yet, so as of July 13th I will no longer be able to report back to work until the PERM approval is received and the I-140 is filed.
    In the mean time, I have filed for an F1, so that post July 13th, I can still remain in the country with my partner.

- My question is, that if my Partner and I get married in court now (we are not yet married), can she still file for a marriage based Green Card petition for me, even though I have an existing PERM and F1 application pending? My partner is a US Citizen.
    - How much time must elapse after getting married, before we can file for the GC?

I hope to hear from you soon with any help and guidance on this matter.

JS