Home / Couples and Families / Listen: The Post-DOMA Conference Call

Listen: The Post-DOMA Conference Call

socialmedia-iconLISTEN: Miss the conference call? The recording is available for download here.

If you woke up this morning and pinched yourself, I can confirm: yesterday wasn’t a dream. The answer is yes. Yes, your family can now apply for a green card. Yes, you can start planning for your future together. If you’re living in exile, you can soon come home.

Soon, USCIS will say “yes” for the first time to a gay or lesbian couple’s green card application. We’re pressing them to act as quickly as possible. Please stand with us today to make history.

I know how long you’ve been waiting, and our team won’t rest until all of our families are secure.

Are you with us? Please give $36, $360 or $3,600 today to help all 36,000 families get the answer they deserve.

LISTEN: Miss the conference call? The recording is available for download here.

25 Responses to Listen: The Post-DOMA Conference Call

1. ana chavez says:

Where can I find the list of immigration attorneys who can help me sponsor my partner–I live in the SF bay area.
    Thanks

2. Kevin H says:

Thank you again for your work!! I just made a donation and hope everyone who believes in this cause recognizes that your social activism requires resources. Without organizations like yours, many rights would remain unequal.

3. Ting says:

Thank you so much. It is a dream come true. Keep fighting for us pls!

4. Ting says:

I did submit the form for attorney in my area but I did not have answer yet so, how long do I have to wait.

• Immigration Equality says:

Hi Ting,
      We are receiving a higher level of responses than usual, but somebody should get back to you within three days!
      Thanks!!

5. Stafford says:

Excellent work! Immigration equality has been such an important part of our lives and this is such a joyous moment. Question – is there any possibility that K-1 fiancée visa processing could be expedited for same sex couples? We have been waiting so many years and although it is very exciting to drop the envelope in the mail to get the ball rolling, the fact that we have up to nine months more to wait is excruciating. Given our collective hardship – not to mention extreme patience – could DoS and DHS maybe consider moving our cases along quickly? Wishful thinking I know…

6. As someone from the LGTBF Community especializing in immigration law, I am interested in learning how I can get on your referral list. I have practices in Los Angekes and San Francisco.

Robert De La Madrid

• Immigration Equality says:

Hi Robert,
      Thank you so much for your interest! I have contacted the legal team with your request, and hopefully they’ll be in touch shortly!

Thanks!!

7. Shadrick LWalker Jr says:

Hello,

I am an American and I married my Dutch partner last year in Holland. I have live in Holland for years now. We would both love to live in America together and I would like to know is possible to come into the country together, or do I need to return first and obtain employment before we can apply for his green card?

Regards,

Shadrick

8. Glenn says:

Want to start green card process for my spouse, we live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Have been legally married to each other since 2011 in Argentina. I am a U.S. citizen my spouse is not. Our home is in San Antonio, Texas and want to return home.
    Please advise as to how we start our process .
    Respectfully,
    Glenn

9. Nikolay says:

But i’m not a U.S citizen ,I’m a green card holder how I can sponsor my spouse for green card? Is it possible ? Maybe you know…..?
    Thanks

10. Alex P. says:

Thanks for your swift reply to my request for local LGBT friendly Immigration attorneys, Immigration Equality. I have an appointment for an initial consultation with one on Friday and I’m excited to see if they can help my partner and I get my Green Card application started.

Thank you for everything you do, and good luck to all the other couples who are also starting long-awaited Green Card applications so they can finally be with their loved ones permanently in the USA.

11. Noel says:

What is the advantage of hiring a lawyer referred to by Immigration Equality? Wouldn’t a ‘regular’ Immigration lawyer be just as knowledgable about the process?

• Immigration Equality says:

Hi Noel,
      The advantage of hiring a lawyer referred to by Immigration Equality is that members of our legal team train these lawyers specifically in LGBT issues, and are equipped to answer questions about what the DOMA decision means for your family.
      Thanks!!

12. Eli says:

Has there been any update on how this will affect trans couples? Specifically where the US citizen is midway through legal transition, but probably won’t be able to change it until after the green card is issued. Are these marriages considered void? Or are all marriages considered equal, and no voiding will be necessary? The reform is great but it opens up a whole host of sticky legal questions for trans folk, especially those of us in states that don’t recognise gay marriages.

13. Anna McLeod says:

How does a licensed attorney become “Immigration Equality” trained?

• Immigration Equality says:

Hi Anna,
      let me send your question to our legal staff, and they will get in touch with you shortly.
      Thanks!!

14. Noel says:

Thank you so much for the referral. We already signed up with an attorney you referred to us and she is great!

15. Jay says:

Hi , I have H1b visa can I apply my spouse here for a change of status from J1 to H4 visa?