Home / Couples and Families / We can win this.

We can win this.

We woke up on Wednesday with a new mandate. We won not one … not two …. not three … but four ballots on marriage equality. Now we don’t just believe Americans support LGBT people, we know they do. Just as thrilling, national exit polls show massive support – 65% – for comprehensive immigration reform. In Maryland, where immigration and marriage equality were both on the ballot, each lifted the other to victory. The roar in the room when President Obama said “We will reform our immigration system” gave me chills. Whatever political party you support, today is a great day for LGBT immigrants and their families.

If you’re already a supporter, you have my sincere appreciation. You keep this organization going, and we cannot thank you enough. If you’ve been waiting, join us now. We are just 13 monthly donors away from winning a $50,000 challenge grant on Friday. Make a monthly pledge today to help us win.

We’re going to use our mandate to build a better tomorrow for all our families. If you stand with us now, we have a real chance of winning an historic victory within the next 7 months.

With your donation:

• We’ll press the Administration to stop denying green cards for LGBT families. As we wait for the Supreme Court to overturn DOMA, we’ll demand that the government stop denying green cards that will be approve once DOMA falls.
  • We’ll continue to answer every single inquiry from families across the country. We’re looking forward to talking to more Mainers, Marylanders, and Washingtonians. Congratulations! We’re going to use the momentum of our wins in the states to win federal recognition for your families, too.
  • We’ll keep LGBT immigration issues in the center of the debate in the country, and in Congress. With overwhelming public support for immigration reform and LGBT equality, we’ll seize this opportunity and expand on it.

My promise to you is that we won’t stop fighting until all our families are treated equally. This is our moment, and we will be heard. Will you sign up to give monthly until we win?

The finish line is in sight. We can win this.

11 Responses to We can win this.

1. Hmm says:

I hope for the best. I hope that finally everyhthing will be okay and families won’t have to be separated anymore. It’s so late in the night in my country and I miss my partner so much. It’s devastating for me, the fact that I can’t be with him right now. It’s so painful. :( I can’t wait to see him again.

2. Janet says:

I hope and pray that they will pass that law coz I’m missing my girlfriend. I really can’t wait to see her here with me in the state. I really spent so much just going home back and fort. I have to quit my job every time I have to leave the state and start all over again when I get back here.

3. indigo_twist says:

I completely empathise with you. But I’m on the other side of it; I want my partner to be able to stay in the US with me.
    We’ll get there – I have hope because of people like the Immigration Equality staff, and the Obama administration. I hope that you and I will be part of history very soon.

4. Ralphy says:

I have been keeping a close eye on the goings on of this case, DOMA and all things linked to gay immigration in recent months. Having found the love of my life, who is an American citizen, I myself as a same-sex British citizen find it difficult knowing I cannot stay with the man I love in his native country. I am well aware here, in the UK, we have gay immigration rights similar too, if not equal too, heterosexual couples. I hope in the coming months that this case brings about the fall of DOMA and that more Binational Gay couples like myself and others on this website and around the world, can obtain a green card in order to stay with the person they love, a right given to every heterosexual couple in the world.

5. Faith says:

I am hopeful we will have the same rights as all couples very soon. We all deserve to have our loved ones close to us. Let’s stay positive and imagine it becoming a reality; believe it to achieve it! Thank you Immigration Equality for all you do!!

6. We are a bi-national couple. I am from the U.S and my partner is from Canada. When his student visa ran out he had to go home, I couldnt marry him in California because of Prop 8 & DOMA. We can no choice but to go to Canada and get married. I left by behind a company i had just started, my family, my friends, and many of my belongings. I know I am not alone and that there are thousands of us out there that want to return with our partners once DOMA falls. I would like to start getting everyone together in an online group, and also to meet in person at LEGIT if you are in Vancouver, so we can plan for the next steps after DOMA falls and support each other. Please email me at contactjaredwilliams@gmail.com so we can keep in touch! Best, -JDW

7. Anonim says:

We are a bi-national couple, I am from US and my partner is from Europe, from a country not included in Visa Waiver. I just want all this nightmare to end so we can be together all the time. :’(

8. We are a GAY-bi-national-married-couple, I am from the States, Georgia, a very red state at that. My Husband is from Mexico, we married in Mexico City, and currently live in Puerto Vallarta, MX. As an American citizen my rights are denied me, for I cannot apply for a visa for my husband to legally enter the United States with me, this needs to change!

What Is a “Spouse”?

A spouse is a legally wedded husband or wife.

Merely living together does not qualify a marriage for immigration.
    Common-law spouses may qualify as spouses for immigration purposes depending on the laws of the country where the common-law marriage occurs.
    In cases of polygamy, only the first spouse may qualify as a spouse for immigration.
    Same-sex marriages are not recognized by immigration law for the purpose of immigrating to the U.S.

9. Douglas says:

We are a bi-national couple, myself a U.S. citizen, my partner, South American. Although he is teaching here (U.S), he had a deportation order. He has an attorney although not seasoned in LGTR clients. With the help of “Immigration Equality”, he obtained a “stay”. It’s not a solution although sinse the elections & President Obama’s compassion, all looks better for him to be granted another one although no guarentee. Alot of progress has been made. I see even further progress on the horizon.
    To Immigration Equality……Thank you, Thank you, XO

10. Jimmy says:

My Husband is from the U.S and I’m from Sweden. (Got married in Sweden more than 1 year ago) and he got a permanent visa to stay in Sweden with me but we always wanted to live in the U.S. So he moved back 2 months ago because of his work and the opportunities given for his company in New York, I truly support him with his passion and businessopportunities but now we’re apart more then 2 months at a time. I really hope that something will happen soon with the U.S immigration laws. I dont want to spend time and money on temporary student visas just to be able to live together and still temporarily.. and have to think about the fact that your visa will expire. we spend countless hours every week in discussion over the phone about our options for staying together. It is really exhausting never to come to a conclusion.

11. Richard says:

I celebrate Marriage Equality’s amazing leap forward. The tireless efforts of Immigration Equality are a well-spring feeding that oasis of hope around which we bi-national couples huddle daily. A student visa allows my partner to be with me here in the USA. This is a costly undertaking with significant residual stress simply because we have no idea how much longer we need to wait one of the several legislative or judicial solutions to become a reality. Standing on the side of love….
    I wouldn’t trade it for anything….. a life wrapped in the mystery of YES!