Home / Couples and Families / My Family. Together.

My Family. Together.

Last week, the Obama Administration told reporters they will continue denying green card applications filed by LGBT spouses.

In an in-depth report for ‘The Advocate,’ reporter Andrew Harmon noted that the White House’s decision will mean more uncertainty, and lives lived in legal limbo, despite the clear evidence that the President can, in fact, put a stop to the rejection letters LGBT couples are now receiving.

For couples facing separation, exile or undocumented status, the President’s inaction has serious, immediate consequences. Today, we are telling the President: We can’t wait.

Today, we’re launching a new campaign – My Family. Together. – to tell our families’ stories and to tell the President to stop denying our families the simple right to be lawfully together in the country they love.

Please stand with us by joining “My Family. Together.” today.  Friend us on Facebook . . . Follow us on Twitter . . . Check out our Tumblr . . . and tune into our new YouTube channel as we unveil a series of video testimonials from families, lawmakers and allies who are joining our efforts to change the President’s mind.

Our first video, from Immigration Equality clients Bradford Wells & Anthony Makk, is online now. Watch it, share it on your social networks and ask your friends and family to join the campaign, too. In the coming days, we’ll have more messages from more champions – including prominent lawmakers and notable public figures – for you to share, too. And you can record your own video, asking the President to stand with us, and upload it on our new channel, too.

As I told ‘The Advocate’ last week, this boils down to a simple question: Whether the President supports keeping our families together, or forcing them apart.

Please join us today. Record your own, personal message. Tell President Obama that we all want, “My Family. Together.”

Let’s change the President’s mind . . .

. . . . Together

20 Responses to My Family. Together.

1. Derek Gruen says:

As a recently engaged partner in a BI national couple, We live in constant anxiety with planning how best to continue our relationship in the eyes of our governments. This is an added pressure on top of social pressures and financial pressures…but our love is strong. Still after decades of acute persecution, ranging from bullying in schools, to low self esteem from a culture slow to accept our sexuality, it is uniquely bittersweet to have grown into a proud and integrated adult, a member of my community, a member of my country, YET still have to run and hide. I have found a partner and relationship full of love and commitment that i still have to treat like a secret….with deceptive actions and hidden agendas. It truly makes me angered with our country’s history and its treatment of ALL its citizens in the 21st century.

Please right this wrong

What about couples married and domestic partnership couples living outside the U.S? There needs to be more attention and action taken to bring U.S citizens with foreign partners out of forced exit from the U.S and exile because of DOMA. There are a number of married and domestic partnership couples where one is a U.S citizen that would benefit from the passage of the Uniting American Families Act. There needs to be more action taken to bring U.S citizens with foreign partners out of forced U.S exit and exile. Action not talk is needed!

3. Robson Fraga says:

I just sent a letter to the President, I hope he will listen. The time is yesterday. We can not afford to wait any loner, the time is now and I know that the President can change the law and start accepting Green cards application for same sex partners. This need to over and I meant it, just yesterday I though that black woman could’ e get marriage with a White partner, What I am tryinto say is why same sex cannot sponsor the lover ones.

4. Christopher Taylor Edwards says:

Ralph — We very much want to hear from couples outside the U.S. too. You are in a similar situation and building a YouTube protest, from everyone affected by immigration discrimination, is an tool in our multi-part strategy to create change at the federal level. As we have seen from issue to issue, real world statements from affected peoples is a strong method for bringing real action from our leaders. Make a video and share it with us!

5. David Barry says:

The stories are continuous and similar and my own mirrors what so many people have said. I am a loyal American, a small business owner, a tax payer, a citizen in good standing, a generous person, and I am in love with a man from another country who is legally here on a student visa. My partner would make an excellent American … he speaks English fluently with little accent, and is a language major, learning 10+ languages to break down language barriers across the world.

Like many other stories of bi-national LGBT couples, the costs of having no way for my partner to work, the higher costs for his higher education, and the continual unknown of where we can live to stay together and what will happen, make us more determined than ever to plead our case, but also fearful that we need something to happen sooner than later. We plead that immigration laws would be revised so that an LGBT partner who is an American citizen may sponsor his or her partner for immigration purposes the very same way that nongay partners and spouses are entitled to. We are supportive of our President’s stand on LGBT equality and applaud the skill to which he has walked the tightrope in an effort to prevent political suicide while helping improve lives and increase equality to all!

6. Chris says:

I am so angered by our gov’t not willing to allow same sex immigration. I miss the USA and my family but I am forced to live in Canada because my Canadian partner is not allowed to move to my home country. When we met 15 years ago, the Canadian gov’t welcomed me and accepted our relationship. (15 YEARS AGO!!! Come on already!) The process was a breeze and I felt normal. What a great experience that left me feeling human, loved, and respected. It’s time to wake up America! It’s 2012. We are successful, respected, members of society and I WANT TO COME HOME.

7. Edith says:

Hello, I am an American Citizen currently living in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico with my partner of 8+ years. We have an 8 year old boy together, which luckily he is also an American Citizen, but we refuse to leave his mother, my partner behind. We wake up at 3:30am every morning to cross the International Bridge so that I can take him to school to get the education he deserves. I drop him off with an aunt which takes him to school and I make my way to work. It has been a hard road for both me and our son, waking up so early, having to go through hardships because of laws like DOMA. I see people that continue to defend DOMA and my eyes tear up. Even as I write this, it has brought tears to my eyes. I am a firm believer in GOD, believe it or not, and I pray that we will soon leave these hardships behind. I have always told my partner, for every hardship, for every sacrifce, there is one huge reward at the end of that rainbow, and we pray that we will soon have our reward. Believe me when I say, the day DOMA is changed or eliminated, I will be so overcome with joy and tears that I dont care if I have to get up from my job and leave, but the first thing I will do is get married and file a petition for my partner’s green card. The first experience I dream of, is taking my family to Disneyland, the three of us walking hand in hand, free.

8. Steve says:

As an Australian citizen who is in a loving and committed relationship with a US citizen I am so incredibly angered by the federal stance on same-sex immigration. I understand that the US system (although I don’t understand why) allows each state to decide it’s position on marriage law, but I don’t believe that those laws should have ANYTHING to do with the federal stance on immigration rights. IT IS TIME the United(?) States recognizes that it’s current position on immigration rights discriminates and promotes hate by denying the same rights to same-sex bi-national families. The current policy is dated, naive, and in my opinion promotes illegal and dangerous alternatives to remaining in the same country. I want to be counted as a LEGAL resident of the US, I want to be counted and recognized as a HUSBAND, and I want the US government to stop the HATE and count ALL of our voices as EQUAL.

The time for waiting is over.

9. Carolina says:

I’m a U.S Citizen living in Colombia, my partner for 2 years already and i are only one step away from being professionals now, and i feel so mad at this gov’t that i can’t come back home with the person i love, knowing that there are so many couples enjoying benefits they “bought” from someone, we have a lot of people in the United States who have pay for a dream, and it is insane to know that in 2012 the people who’s in the LGBT community and it is first of all American, doesn’t have the right to enjoy life witht he person they love. I do not agree and i think is a complete lie at this point, the fact that our country is full of freedom and justice, what type of freedom and justice is to be a regular human to pay taxes but to be a lesbian or a gay once you want to help the person you love so you can create your family… Sorry but i’m not buying this anymore from my own country, it is really sad, but less i expect from the nation i call home, is to let me use all of my benefits so i can be happy.

10. Melanie says:

Hello friend. I am a 47 year old woman-also living for several years in exile- in Brazil (Not an easy life, be sure….) I love my wife, pay my taxes STILL in the US- vote, but where’s the protection and rights the US should provide it’s citizens? We live without healthcare in a dangerous area of Rio, try to run a sucessful small business here in Brazil..I miss my family and friends and BOY do I miss the priviledge of living and working in the US- Brazil is so very difficult for us…
    We want to come home to the US for good. We still pay the upkeep of a home in the US- in the hopes we’ll come home soon…God bless us all and its time to demand change. See the movie: Pink and Green, it tells the story of bi-national couples and immigration inequality in a very touching short film, made by our dear friend here in Brazil, Gustavo marzolla. He was honored at Cannes for this film this past April, and is currently in Los Angeles where this film is showing at some festivals. We have friends everywhere who are helping our cause…Someday maybe we’ll all meet in the US and give big hugs to each other..God bless and ask all your friends to join the fight!

11. Pingback: Great Video about Our Issue from Rep. Mike Honda, Author of Reuniting Families Act | Torn Apart

Christopher Taylor Edwards
    I am so deeply sorry for not responding to you sooner. Please be assured your words are very uplifting and encouraging.
    Please understand as much as I would relish the opportunity to tell my story and make a video, safety issues prevent me from doing so….specifically, if my story was made public, my partner and I face the risk of being harmed or killed here in a Latin American country where there is tension(s) between it and the United States.

13. Marco A Garcia says:

Hello, Im Marco, a 24 year old young men living in a dangerous city on the US/Mexico border. I have 3 beautiful children from a previous marriage. The kids and I are all USC’s, my partner of 2 years got married on a trip to NYC. He is a Mexican National with a business administration degree. I have been commuting to work forthe past 2 years and have been expoxed to various high risk situations. I strongly believe this has to come to a stop very soon. All we want is for my husband to obtain legal residency and live a safe life where my kids dont have to be exposed to all the druh related violence in the city we reside in. I would love to take part in any organization around my area that looks for the the best LGBT rigths. Please let me know if you know of any:). Have a great day!

14. Hello My Name is Mauricio Fabian Bahena and my spouse is Josue Ivan Genchi Barcenas I am an american citizen he is an illegal immigrant who was detained by ICE and now he is facing deportation. as American citizen Mr. President I have the right of pursue of happiness and Iam entitled to the same rights that any straight couple has. why why is it different for us?

We are committed to each other and have been living together for more than 5 five years. Please please do something about it.

Sincerely

Mauricio Fabian Bahena

15. Jose Garcia Jr says:

My partner of 13 years and I have been apart now for over 2 years. He graduated with honors with a degree in Nursing and when his visa expired he had to return to Chile. I have been trying to get him back to the US but it has been a difficult task. I don’t have all the money it takes to hire an attorney. I hate to think that I will have to sell what I have here in the States and try to build another type of life in a foreign country, but I will if that is what it takes to be with the one person that fills my life with joy .

16. Rebecca says:

My wife and I have been married for two years and together. I am a UK citizen with two children alone with no other family here in the UK. My wife had to leave the country and the family she loves to come to the UK so we could be together. Waiting in the USA I have the supportive and loving family I have always dreamed of. They continue to fight for us and look forward to the day we can be in America with them to share our lives. My wifes two year VISA will run out here in March and due to catastrofic fees we can not afford to stay here and she will have to return to the USA alone.

I am so scared to think what this will do to two children (one of whom is autistic) who adore her. We love America, can’t wait for the day we can work and support ourselves with the same right to be with each other, with our family and in a place we can forever call call home as every other binational family is proud to do.

17. Scott says:

It is so unbelievable that the Department of Homeland Security provides many benefits (housing, travel, health care, job placement, schooling, etc.) to same sex partners and their children while an employee is posted overseas, but on the other hand provides no means to help keep these families together when the employee’s tour is completed and the employee must return to the United States. Foreign national family members suffer the worst, because there is no immigration related mechanism, not even if partners are married! This is not fair, this is ridiculous, and it hurts! Immigration is about making sure families can stay together, right? But, USCIS cannot even do that for its own faithful, hardworking employees! What the ?

18. Benjamin Anderson says:

How do you write a letter to the President? And just as important..how do you get him to read it?

19. filipina says:

Pres. Obama please make this possible for us. If straight people can easily get fiance visa, why not gays????
    Please show the real equality here. Please do what you said. I’m a lesbian from Philippines and my partner is a Black American. She’s willing to marry me but how???? unless you can make this possible for us. Not only for me but for all the gay/lesbians out there who has the same problem.

20. Michael Fitzgerald says:

We are in the same situation. I am American (from California) and my same-sex spouse is Canadian. We were married in Canada three years ago. We have been living in Mexico for the past two years so that we can be together. We enjoy our life in Puerto Vallarta, but would love to return home to California where we still own a house. My spouse was denied reentry to the USA two years ago when trying to return to our home in California after having visited his aged parents in Canada. It is ironic that Mexico recognizes our same-sex Canadian marriage while the USA does not (because of DOMA). Under Mexico’s family unification law, I was able to sponsor my economically dependent same-sex spouse for residency here (in Mexico) with no hassles. We want to return home to our house in California. It’s time for DOMA to end!