Home / Couples and Families / Immigration Equality Responds to the State of the Union

Immigration Equality Responds to the State of the Union

Immigration Equality issued the following statement, this evening, in response to President Obama’s State of the Union address:

“The President laid out an eloquent vision this evening of an America where everyone plays by the same rules, and shares the same opportunities and chances. The tens of thousands of LGBT binational couples who live every day with the threat of separation, or are already separated or in exile, want nothing more than that: To have the same rules, the same opportunities and the same chances to keep their families together. It is past time to tackle comprehensive immigration reform and, as the President pointed out, it is imperative that Congress pass the DREAM Act to extend opportunity to undocumented youth, many of whom happen to be LGBT. But it also time for the President to endorse, and call for the passage of, the Uniting American Families Act. The Administration has taken important steps forward in recent months, including exercising discretion to keep some couples together. We’re prepared, and ready, to work with the White House to make that progress permanent, and pass UAFA, whether alone or as part of a comprehensive bill. For binational families, the key to making the state of their unions stronger lies in ending green card denials, passing UAFA and allowing them to play by the same rules as their straight neighbors. Immigration Equality is committed to working side-by-side with the White House to make that vision a reality.”

For information on how you can join Immigration Equality in calling for the President’s endorsement of UAFA, and the end of green card denials, visit our Action Fund site. (Clicking this link will redirect you to our 501(c)4 action center.)

6 Responses to Immigration Equality Responds to the State of the Union

1. Tammy3D says:

Hi There Steve Ralls,
    Thanks, on a related note, PHOENIX/LOS ANGELES – July 6 – Today, the Department of Justice filed a lawsuit challenging Arizona’s SB 1070. The National Day Laborer Organizing Network (NDLON) with its member organizations in Arizona have resisted the new law, organizing community members, holding large-scale marches, and participating as counsel in a lawsuit against SB 1070 with a coalition of civil rights partners. Today, Pablo Alvarado, director of NDLON, issued the following statement:

“Arizona’s demagogue leaders have scapegoated immigrants, subordinated Latinos’ civil rights, and fallen down a slippery slope. They have received a free pass for too long in part because they have engaged in persecution of a class of people they have tried to dehumanize and deem ‘illegal.’ Today, our country is standing up to say, ‘NO MORE! No more dehumanization. No more criminalization. No more racial profiling. No more Arizona’s.’

“The people Jan Brewer calls ‘illegal’ will one day be citizens of this country, they will become leaders of Arizona, and they will have succeeded in strengthening the Union and defending our Constitution along their path. Today, we ask Governor Brewer, “What part of federal don’t you understand? What part of unconstitutional don’t you understand? What part of the Fourteenth Amendment don’t you understand?’

“Immigration reform will not be won with one single piece of legislation. It will be won when immigrants achieve the political equality we deserve. We will earn our right to stay here by unifying the country and redeeming its proud tradition as a nation of immigrants. We will mark the victory achieved in defeating Arizona’s SB 1070 as a seminal moment in this enduring struggle. We are confident justice will prevail.”

Chris Newman, legal director for NDLON and counsel on a lawsuit challenging 1070 said:

“The Department of Justice took the extraordinary step of filing this lawsuit to defend the Constitution from attack. Our federal government will not allow a fragmentation of the Union because of anti-immigrant hysteria. Our legal system will not tolerate Arizona’s latest attempt at nullification. Our courts will not allow the 14th Amendment to be trampled upon.

We are confident federal courts will prevent this odious legislation from ever seeing the light of day. Meanwhile, while the legal process is under way, we will continue to urge the Obama administration to take other necessary steps to prevent states and localities from arrogating federal authority.”
    Good Job!

2. Judy Rickard says:

Great comment and response! I already told a contact in the White House I cringed when President Obama, who I love and respect, used “illegal immigrants” and reminded my contact that we want people to say undocumented, not illegal. 2012 is our year to fight and I am ready!

3. Vladimir says:

I will be the happiest person in the world when I get a greencard. I dream about that day when I won’t be living 24/7 in fear that I can leave my love at any time because of my status… God, please, help us and bless those people who are against of LGBT. Amen

4. Clare Fraser says:

Well done on such a positive and constructive response.

5. Daniel Otero says:

I am an American Citizen living in Australia because the federal government has discriminated against my husband Greg who is an Aussie citizen strictly based on the sexual orientation and the fact that he is Australian. If our countries are such allies and Australia has “same sex immigration laws to allow me to live here with the man I love, why can’t we have the same immingration to allow me to come home rather than live in exile away from my immediately whom I love very deeply. I just lost my only sister to cancer on the 1st of December and I couldn’t come home to her funeral because it would have been financially impossible for us to come and say our goodbyes to probably the most wonderful person alive! So I had to grieve far away from home. This would not have happened should the Federal government would have allowed us to be in the USA together. The country I love with all of my heart and miss very sorely, and the family and friends I have loved all my life.
    I cannot afford to live in exile much longer. Please help support this organization so that people like me can finally come home with our spouses we love and continue to live our lives together in the best country in the world! The United States of America!
    God Bless America and God bless Immigration Equality for all they are doing!
    Daniel Otero
    Adelaide , Australia

6. Helen Gavoe says:

It is not just LGBT couples that face discrimination in the Visa application process. Couples with racial, cultural, and age differences go through living hell. There is no oversight, no accountability, and no official monitoring and evaluation of the Consular interviewing process. Every interview should be recorded and if there is any question of bias the interview should be evaluated by an oversight committee. You can be put on indefinite “hold” with no explanation and no information on how to help resolve what ever issue they have determined is a problem. We have had our age difference questioned, my previous marriages (all to US citizens), and the last excuse was that we didn’t have a “cultural” wedding. What we didn’t have was unlimited resources. I have written my Congressman and the reply to him was on indefinite hold for further investigation. They have reams of documentation including clean police records for my husband. And we have no one advocating for us. Couples in the same situation are afraid to speak out…afraid it will cause complete denial. But they would rather keep you in limbo. If they deny the application outright then the FOIA requires the justify it. All couple going through the visa application process involving 3rd world countries need an advocate.