Home / Couples and Families / Diversity Visa Lottery 2013 Opens on Tuesday

Diversity Visa Lottery 2013 Opens on Tuesday

The annual Diversity Visa (DV) lottery begins tomorrow, October 4, 2011. The lottery allows individuals from countries that are under-represented in the U.S. to apply for lawful permanent residence in the U.S.

Answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) are found here on our website.

This year for the first time, LGBT families have won the unfortunate distinction of being mentioned (negatively) in the DV lottery instructions:

11. CAN MY SAME-SEX SPOUSES BE INCLUDED IN A DV ENTRY?

No, same-sex marriages are not recognized by immigration law for the purpose of immigrating to the United States. However, your same-sex partner is free to submit his/her own entry into the DV program.

It’s good to know that the U.S. government is thinking about our families these days when writing its FAQs, but obviously our work is not done until the answer to this question is a resounding “yes.”

Meanwhile, if you or your partner comes from a country that is permitted to file an application under the D.V. lottery, you should do so. Apply online at https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

The odds of winning are small, but it’s free, and every year 50,000 foreign nationals get a green card through this channel.

7 Responses to Diversity Visa Lottery 2013 Opens on Tuesday

1. steven hall says:

I want to find out more info regarding this. I am gay and want to marry my Latino boyfriend who lives in Mexico.

2. Rachelle says:

Wow that additional discriminatory language is just f^&*ing ridiculous and why oh why are we still unequal. Be sure someone is pushing the UAFA in all social media and putting it in the newspapers etc to get people to log on and sign ASAP. thanks

3. Kevin Munoz says:

Unfortunately, Mexicans are not eligable to apply for the Diversity Visa. It’s only open to people from countries that don’t have a lot of immigrants already in America.

4. Douglas Long says:

I want yo marry my Brazilian fiance is he able to apply under this Diversity Visa? If So What are the steps we need to go through .

5. toshi says:

It is interesting that we “have won the unfortunate distinction” this year for the first time. I came across this web site when I was wondering if I should put my marriage status single or married for the green card lottery since I (Japanese male) got married an American citizen male in NY this year. If I put I am married, it seems that they ask me to write my husband (American citizen)’s information as well as to provide his picture. Isn’t that funny? If I put I am single, it means I am not telling truth but since the federal government which is in charge of the department of the State which is in charge of this green card lottery does not recognize our marriage, I am not necessary lying. I am unmarried to them. If I am married to them, I could get the green card through our marriage, right? Someone even told me that we have to file the tax jointly for the NY state and separately for the federal. What kind of world do we live in? Repeal the Defense of the Marriage Act right now!

6. THOMAS SIMEON ABU says:

I real want to know what is my challenges with playing dv because i started playing since i completed high school in 2003,that is 10yrs to now and I am now a graduate and up till now I am still playing it and i have not been selected.